Tuesday, March 31, 2009
YOU KNOW YOU'VE WORKED IN THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY WHEN:
* You've said at one point or another in your career the sentence (or some variation of): "Yeah, the pay is shitty but the benefits are great."
* You actually know what "fam" in the term "fam trip" stands for.
* You know what an IATAN card is.
* You remember when an IATAN card actually was worth a damn.
* You've had to explain basic geography at some point in your life to some bozo, such as the fact that there's no bridge that connects California to the Hawaiian Islands. Or that Baja California isn't part of California.
* You've had to diplomatically remind someone that Alaska is actually part of the United States and you don't need a passport to get there.
* At one point or another in your past, you received a very nice complimentary upgrade to an oceanview room, but were still secretly just a teensy bit miffed because you knew that oceanfront suite was just sitting there unoccupied.
* You roll your eyes whenever a friend or relative asks you if you can get them a "good deal" to Vegas, even though your specialty or line of work has absolutely nothing to do with Vegas.
* Your friends ask your advice on trip planning and then completely ignore it and then end up having a completely rotten vacation. And you're satisfyingly smug about it.
* You can use terms like "yield management" in cocktail conversation and keep a straight face.
* You remember when - or at least know about - the time when airlines actually paid commission to travel agents.
* You've had a friend or relative say to you at one point or another: "Why do I need a travel professional? I can book it all myself on the Internet?" And you've let them do it, just to prove a point.
* At one point or another in your life you've either known about, used, sworn at, kicked, or spat on one of the following: SABRE, APOLLO, PARS, WORLDSPAN.
* You realize that your boyfriend/girlfriend/life partner/dog/cat is not staying with you out of love or devotion, but merely for the travel benefits.
* You've had to explain to someone at one point or another the fact that "non-refundable" actually really means you're not going to get your money back.
* You know the difference between a 777-200 and a 777-300 and it makes perfect sense to you that you would know that.
* You know exactly who you're talking to and why when to talk to the "F & B Manager" at a hotel.
* You've flown in First Class for free while your friends have been huddled together far back in Coach and you were way too comfortable to go back and say hi to them. For God's Sakes, you'll seem them when you get there!
* On the one hand, you've kicked yourself a thousand times for staying in the travel industry as long as you have or did, and on the other, you tell yourself that if you had to do it all over again, you actually probably really would
Oh, and this is my absolute favorite:
I am a Travel Agent:
I am a travel agent....I have advance degrees in accounting, public relations, marketing, business building, computer science, civil engineering, and Swahili.
I am a travel agent....Of course I remember the reservation you booked six years ago, even though you don't have a confirmation number and you think it was made under a last name that begins with a T.
I am a travel agent....It's no problem for me to give you seven connecting non-smoking poolside suites with 2 king beds and 4 rollaways in each, and yes, it is my fault that the hotel does not have a helicopter pad.
I am a travel agent....I speak all languages and have visited Every destination.
I am a travel agent....It's obvious to me when you book your reservation for Friday, you really mean Saturday.
I am a travel agent....My company has entrusted me with financial information, and yet I can't tell you why your hotel bill for March 1989 had a .50 per phone call because, of course, you shouldn't have to pay for calls.
I am a travel agent....I understand that Joe Blow Ltd. is a vast empire and will make or break my agency.
I am a travel agent....Yes, I am lying when I say there are no seats left at the lowest price.
I am a travel agent....No, it's not a problem for me to quickly construct several more guest rooms at the hotel you want, and this time I will not forget the helicopter landing pad!
I am a travel agent....I am capable of checking fares for three people, taking five reservations and answering fifteen calls simultaneously.
I am a travel agent....I always know where to find the best vegetarian, kosher, and Mongolian barbecue restaurants.
I am a travel agent....I know exactly what to do in all cities without spending money.
I am a travel agent....I take responsibility for airline food, traffic jams, rental car flat tires, weather, hotel locations, and the national economy.
I am a travel agent....Of course I can fit you into the hotel at the special corporate rate because you are affiliated with the Blackburn North Lawn Bowls club.
I am a travel agent... I am never offended when I spend 10 hours researching a 12 day Europe itinerary only to hear you say you "booked it yourself over the internet and saved $30 !!!" I also never gloat when you call back to say the rate was sold out or that you are stuck in the middle of no where since they cancelled your flight and you cannot "call" your internet provider to be protected on another flight.
I am a travel agent... I love when people walk up to me at parties and out of the blue expect me to know the latest airlines fares from Melbourne to Ibiza via Byron Bay, the Maldives and Nairobi "off the top of my head".
I am a travel agent... I love that everyone assumes I get to travel everywhere for free and when I do get to take advantage of a perk people act like it is a sin against nature. If you ask me to get you the rate at my "travel agent discount" I will kill you.
I am a travel agent...Don't bother telling me any dates or cities since I am a mind reader and already have the reservation in my crystal ball before you can tell me.
I smile, empathize, sympathize, console, cajole, up-sell, down-sell, cross-sell, perform, sing, dance, make coffee and fix the printer.................. I am your travel agent!!
Just a little taste of my life......
Monday, March 30, 2009
I found out I am taking a paycut for 15 pay periods. That is exciting. I love it because we all know what happens after that...usually lay offs...so, my fingers are crossed.....
I just don't know how much more we are going to get thrown at my family!
Not trying to be so negative-I wish I could see the bright side. But, damn it is getting really dim over here.....
Friday, March 27, 2009
This is the overstimulation I speak of...this was 4 days like this....
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
I don't really like the Gillian Michaels deal though..the controls barely register when you are doing things..However I sweat..so I am keeping it up for a whole month before I give up! After that...we will just go back to the regular wii fit...
I am just not into running anymore. Our neighborhood is just not runner friendly. There just ins't anywhere to go. I talk little Pancho out for walks daily..that is my outside work out!
Heck the last 4 days though..I feel like a terrible person if I walked her. She is so exhausted by playing with Rupert and Coco that she started drooling like all the time. It is so gross...If she doesn't stop it after Coco goes home...I will take to vet..but she is eating and drinking and playing just as normal...so I am not worried..I think it is just over stimulation.
Oh and by the way....now Pancho won't eat out of her food dishes. She got her collar stuck on the stand and it wouldn't let go so she is scared of it. Any insight on how to get her eating from the bowl again. I have tried putting bones in it and peanut butter in it...after work I am heading to Pet Smart to get some canned food...Yes she is so spoiled..but dang it....it is always something.
Another funny that happened today....I got my new debit card in the mail. I didn't notice it was on Aaron's account. So, I had cut my card up not even thinking about it....so now I am out a debit card....and just have Aaron's stupid card....Actually...that is great..I'll just spend all his money!!! haha!
Lastly...I got Mariokart today....so after I get all set up on it..I'll let ya'll know my Kart number...we can play!
Friday, March 20, 2009
I just love this little girl. She is one tired pooch today though...too many days of playing with the big dogs.
I have nothing new to talk about at this point. Weekend was fun. Starr apparently had a great weekend....although driving from New Braunfels to Ft. Worth should not take 7 hours...LOL...I was having a selfish weekend however, didn't get to live up to my selfishness....Gabriella and I planted new flowers in the garden. I will update pictures either later or tomorrow. I am on vacation today just lounging around doing nothing...it is sooooo nice!!!!!
Went to the dentist this morning. No cavities again. Yeah!!!! I rock!
We have Coco for the week....so it will be another interesting week for the modern day Brady Bunch....we have Pancho, Coco, Aaron, Me, Brandon, Starr, Gabriella and Jacob. I love it!!!
Jake has found Pancho's kennel to be the spot to play in. For some reason it is just the coolest place to be besides the stairs...that is the other spot to be.
Being around Gabriella and Jacob so much more has been so fun for me. Aunt She She is starting to be a little less anal..so keep praying for me on that...so I don't drive Starr or the kids nuts by saying no so much. LOL! Pancho even loves when the kids eat, because they want her to be included.
What next...hmm-Well, we just found out that Jeff got laid off today. That is now 3 of my in-laws kids are laid off. Isn't that the scariest thing you ever heard. I am so over this crap of the crappy economy. I know Obama is "working" on this..but freaking get it going..and Perry you can kiss my ass if you think not taking some aid for the unemployed is a good idea....it has hit my family 3 freaking times this year...I think Texas can use some additional assistance!!!!!!
Oh here is pictures of my garden. We need to mulch, but since Aaron got laid off 2 weeks after we moved in, we didn't buy gutters yet..so new mulch will just wash away like all the old stuff did...so that is just going to have to wait. The first picture is my snap dragons that didn't die at all over the winter...they are going crazy. The others are the 40 tulip bulbs I planted. As they all keep blooming I will update new pictures. They look so pretty though. I go out front a couple times a day just to look at my pretty garden.
Well other than that..nothing else going on. I plan on just being blah tonite. I am not in the mood to be playing, I think it is going to be a lazy weekend for me...and than Sunday night is Big Love watching party at my house...Looking forward to that...I love that show!!!
Does anyone know how to stop grinding your teeth? I think while I sleep I have been grinding like crazy due the situations in the house....I swear it is not a comfortable thing either... :(
Thursday, March 19, 2009
hmmm...what else? Taco Casa for lunch today. Excited about that...and than Aaron is heading to ZZ Top for the night. Relaxing night at home is exactly what I need.....Miss Sheila can not hang like I used to. I sound like a 90 year old lady today...too much drinking and talking too loud nights...LOL!
Oh, I am also obsessed with Twitter....how in one day can I become obsessed with it...I don't know but it sure happened.
Ok-more to come later...going to shower and get ready for the day!!!!
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
- ► 2010 (20)